How to Choose the Correct Insomnia Treatment
INSOMNIA: treatment without medication or therapy
Nowadays people are looking to treat conditions without the constant use of medication. Most people complain about the prospect of long-term medication or therapy; would like to look at non-medical interventions.
The good news is that there are many ways to intervene insomnia conditions. There are two different types of insomnia and each require different interventions, but they may both start with non-pharmaceutical/non-clinical interventions. Continue reading and discover 10 of the best ways to treat insomnia
What is Insomnia?
Insomnia is a sleep disorder that affects people with difficulty in sleeping. Because of Insomnia, people have difficulty in falling asleep or remain asleep as long as they want.
It is been recorded by the National Sleep Foundation that almost 30-40% of adults in America are suffering from Insomnia.
Types of Insomnia
There are only four types of insomnia:
If a person is having sleep problems but it is not associated with other health problem then that is acute insomnia. It happens because of life problems, for example, a night before the result day. No treatment is required for acute insomnia and its temporary.
If a person is having sleep problems but it is related to his/her health such as depression, heartburn, asthma or any other problem then it is called chronic insomnia. For chronic insomnia, treatment is required to cure this disease. It is not temporary, it requires a lot of times for healing.
Below are the symptoms of insomnia:
- – Troubling falling asleep
- – Unexpectedly waking up during the night and experiencing difficulty in sleeping
- – Getting up early in the morning
- – Feeling tired after waking up
- – Feeling sleepy whole day
- – Feeling ill-tempered
- – Cannot remember things
There are only two main causes of insomnia, one is psychological and second is medical. Below are examples of medical conditions:
- – Sinus
- – Arthritis
- – Asthma
- – Chronic pain
- – Back pain
- – Neurological conditions
- – Endocrine problem
- – Gastrointestinal problem
Below are the psychological causes of insomnia:
- – Tension
- – Remembering past events
- – Worrying about the future
Do you want to sleep peacefully? Don’t worry, below are insomnia remedies which will help you to recover your sleep time and have beautiful dreams.
- Change in the diet plan
It sounds a bit confusing that diet is connected with insomnia, but it’s true. For example, if you were very hungry and went to sleep without eating; you may unexpectedly wake up during the night because of low blood sugar. That doesn’t mean that you eat right before you hit the bed, you need to maintain balance by changing meal sizes and time consumed.
- Recommended foods
To deal with insomnia you need to have the right food to help you sleep without any problem. Following are the recommended foods
- Foods that contain high tryptophan (a type of amino acid)
- Foods that are enriched in magnesium
- Raw milk
- Vitamin B
- Avoid Caffeine
Caffeine is an enemy of your sleep. It’s better if you avoid the intake of caffeine by afternoon. If you love tea so much and you cannot avoid it, then why don’t you try green tea? The reason for suggesting green tea is that it contains very low caffeine content.
- No alcohol
It is recommended to avoid alcohol as much as you can. People who are addicted to alcohol will surely have troubles in avoiding. For them, try to limit the consumption of alcohol to one glass per day. Don’t drink alcohol at least 2 hours before sleeping.
The amount of sugar level can also cause insomnia and anxiety. To solve this, you need to avoid all high sugar foods and instead them use organic stevia extract.
- Don’t take stress
One of the biggest psychological illness leading to insomnia is stress. Stress can cause many things such as high blood pressure, headaches and even insomnia.
There are many ways to avoid stress. Following are some points to reduce stress level:
- Try watching television or any other electronic gadget as low as possible. The objective is to make your brain relax in order to decrease the stress But if you kept watching TV or any other screen then your brain will be working continuously so that’s why its recommended to avoid them.
- Do that thing which helps you to relax. Many people have different hobbies such as some find pleasure in reading articles while some find relaxation in walking. You need to do what you love before hitting the bed.
- Try to think positive no matter what the real situation is. You need to have positive ideas that will make you happy for example, think of that you won a Nobel prize and you are addressing in front of a big audience. This will create certain hormones in your body that will help you fall asleep.
- Exercise is one of the best ways to reduce the stress level. When you exercise, your body will create the same hormones (as mentioned in thinking positive) that will help you fall asleep. It’s recommended to do exercise before going to sleep.
- Intake high-quality supplements
It’s better to cure insomnia in a natural way than taking drugs. You can take natural high-quality foods which are enriched in minerals and vitamins. Following is the list of supplements that you should eat to not only cure insomnia but also to be healthy:
- Vitamin B12
The reason for recommending yoga is that it helps you relax and help you withdraw from worldly problems. Yoga proved to have positive effects on sleep. Just spend 20 minutes of your day doing yoga and you will have a beautiful dream at night. It’s suggested to do yoga before sleep because yoga creates some hormones (discussed before) which will make you fall asleep.
Meditation consist of slow, steady breathing while sitting silently. Meditation is done in a very quiet place so that no one can disturb you. You can observe your breath, thoughts, and sensation as you breathe in and out.
Meditation has been proven to have positive effects on insomnia. It is another method to calm you and help you relax.
- Change your lifestyle
Lastly, you need to change your lifestyle by adjusting things in your environment such as adjusting your bedroom. Many sleep specialists recommend a few things that you can do around your bedroom to reduce insomnia. Following are the points:
- Don’t smoke before you sleep
- Maintain the temperature of your bedroom according to the season
- Keep a standard sleep and awaking plan
- Avoid oversleeping
- Turn off all lights and make sure your room is dark before you sleep
- Make your bed comfortable so that you don’t have troubles in sleeping
Like other diseases, having insomnia is very terrible. Think about it, you cannot sleep peacefully and keep waking up in the middle of the night, must be awful, right? You don’t need to deal with insomnia if you take precautions.
If you are still suffering from insomnia after performing all solution then you should visit your doctor immediately and discuss this problem. Chronic insomnia could be an indication of other conditions requiring intervention by mental health or behavioral health specialist.
Insomnia is not a lethal disease but it’s a torturing disease which will snatch your peace. It will not kill anyone but can lead to destruction such as road accident or any other accident which might prove horrible.